Six, large new fruit trees that were planted as part of the TD Green Streets Urban Orchard Initiative being undertaken by the City of Springfield and Regreen Springfield, were chopped down this weekend. They were the first trees planted at the Berkshire Orchard at Kennedy Farm in Springfield’s Indian Orchard neighborhood. The trees are part of initiative to establish two new orchards in low-income neighborhoods in the city. Funding for the project comes from a competitive grant award fro TD Bank’s Green Streets Program. The orchard initiative was one of ten projects funded by the grant program.
Make a Contribution
- Greening the Gateway Cities Offers Trees for Free
- Regreen Springfield Partners with Berkshire Bank for Xtraordinary Day
- Citizen Science Academy and Tree Steward Training Kicks Off in April
- ‘Greening the Gateways’ Initiative Brings $1.5 Million to Springfield for Trees
- Forest Park Arboretum Spring 2018 Kick-off Get Together, March 20th
Search the Site